There was a time when creating plenty of content was enough to get you noticed, but this is no longer the case. Too many sites have been filled up with content that is low quality and the majority of articles submitted to article directories are even worse. Most of us have come across pages that make no sense and while they may give us a laugh or two, they usually just irritate us and we move on as quickly as we can.
The search engines have caught on to this and are developing algorithms to help weed out the rubbish. Google launched their “Farmer Update” early last year, which was an algorithm that focused on rewarding high quality content sites while low quality sites started to be devalued, and there have several more updates since.
If you’re still outsourcing your content to cheap article writing sites you probably need to rethink your strategy, and quickly. Your content should show that you are an expert in your field, so just think what churning out rubbish says to readers about you and your business!
Here are some tips for creating good quality content:
- Write about what you know but ensure it’s also something your visitors will be interested in reading about (and hopefully share with others).
- Think about writing content that solves a problem for customers, gives them useful advice or shows them how to do something and avoid just blowing your own trumpet.
- Spice up your content with images, video, etc and avoid overly lengthy pages of solid text.
- Encourage interaction by asking questions, creating polls or holding contests.
- Show that there is a human face behind your business by letting a bit of your personality show through.
- If you outsource any of your writing make sure that the writer understands your business and give them ideas of the sort of content your potential customers would be interested in. Don’t expect quality writing if you’re paying peanuts.
At the end of the day writing content takes time regardless, so you may as well spend that time productively by creating content worth reading!
Do you have any other tips for creating good quality content? I’d love it if you’d share them with us in the comments below.