A lot of people think they can start posting a few times on Twitter or Facebook or maybe upload a video to YouTube and then sit back and wait for the phone to ring. Well that’s unlikely to happen, unless you are an established brand and already have a large database from which to draw from.
For many smaller businesses social media can take a while to get going, it can be disheartening to post to a small audience and it can be difficult to grow your audience organically. I think this may be why some get frustrated and end up plying the networks with sales messages because they don’t feel like this whole social thing is working for them.
But there are ways that you can help to grow your audience, here are some of the best:
- Share great content (I know, I know, but it’s so important)
- Ask questions
- Don’t overload people with too many posts
- Ask people to share
- Promote offers/competitions
- Post funny/amusing/interesting images as these are easy for people to share and get a good response
- Use your existing contacts and ask them to follow/like/connect etc.
- Make sure people can connect socially from your website and offline marketing material. Include links in your email signatures too.
It can take time to build up an audience but by sticking to what you know is right and ensuring that everything you post will add value in some way then it will come eventually. What you will also find is that the larger the audience the quicker it then continues to attract more people, it’s self perpetuating. Stick with it, it does get easier and if you need some advice, then just give us a call 01279 647003.